Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Two Family Tree Projects of My Family

 

I’m currently working on two different versions of the same Family Tree. My Uncle Willie started researching and constructing the original Tree to which I’m updating and modernizing by putting it on an Excel Spreadsheet. The other Tree has the same content of course, but I’m putting it into a different format which is “.dnl” using Desktop Author program. The DNL Format requires the viewer to download a small free file used for viewing the dnl file. I’m also doing deeper research as I’ve joined several Genealogy forums and sites. I’ve even started a new Yahoo Group named “Gentry Family Genealogy Research” in hopes of getting other Gentry Family branches involved.  As of this writing, our First Generation begins with Nicholas Gentry of  Essexshire, Sussex, England born in 1665.  He died in 1736 at the age of 71 in Hanover, Virginia.

excel_tree

My Gentry Family Tree project done in Microsoft Excel.

 

I’m looking for old documents and photos of our family history. I found a website  http://teafor2.com that has photos of over 200,000 gravesites and headstones in thousands of cemetery's in the United States and even the Vietnam Memorial Wall replica.  They can be searched by State, County, or Cemetery. I can’t imagine the hours, miles, and expense this man has invested. Here is the Heading from the site:

“Cemeteries Photographed  by - Allen Wheatley 
I started photographing just my relatives in their cemeteries but found I needed to go back often to get newly found cousins.   So I switched to getting complete cemeteries.   Now I rarely go to a cemetery because of relatives therein, I just enjoy getting all the pictures and sharing with you.   Please copy any for your personal records but since you do not own them, please note that they came from http://teafor2.com if you republish them.”

I gave it a test by searching for Mother, Dad, and Oldest Brother. The results were amazing.

gravestones

Needless to say, one family tree project is enough, but two will be extremely time consuming and will most likely take me years to – I started to type “complete”, but I guess in reality, it will continue on as long as Gentry’s are being born.

My DNL Format of The Gentry Family Tree Book is just getting started. I’ve created a Video Tour for you to see the potential and features of the Desktop Author program and what I’ve done so far.

 

 

 

brown_yellow

brown_beige

Today, Miss Carol and I are celebrating our 19th Wedding Anniversary.

yellow_rose

brown_yellow

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary and wishing you many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna. I took Miss Carol out to dinner tonight just so she wouldn't have to cook and do dishes. Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

    Thanks!

    Joel
    JHouston791@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.