Monday, August 6, 2012

O.M.G. Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwiches'

FIRST:  My Disclaimer – I don’t want anyone to misunderstand this or be offended by my comments of this post. Make no mistake, I’m a God Loving and God Fearing man, so don’t take this as Blasphemy.   Also, Miss Carol or I neither one can take full credit for what you’re about to read.
Guacamole-Grilled-Cheese1a
I want to mention, in case you’re using Google Reader or any other Reader for reading our posts, its better to view/read directly from our Blog : http://bwcarolhappy-trails.blogspot.com/ because of our color scheme and graphics.
Tonight, Miss Carol fixed the most wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve ever eaten.  My first bite was literally “Spiritual”.  She was scouring the Internet yesterday for some new and different recipes for us to try.  She found 4 that really sounded good and intriguing.  The following is one of them.
The Title above, is not the original, but one I had to use because this sandwich was so good. I thought of several names before settling on the O.M.G. (Oh My God).  I thought about, “Shock & Awe”,  “Too Good to be True” or maybe, “Absolutely Marvelous Grilled Cheese” but none of them seem to do Justice.  The original name is simply: “Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich” and this is so good it deserves a more Captive Title.  Credit must be given to: “two peas & their pod” at http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com  for this recipe.  But, as it is with most recipes, we all like to add our own little touch or slight changes.  Miss Carol and I both agreed, that this sandwich will only be as good as the guacamole is. The other ingredients only compliment the guacamole. The images I’m using in this post are from their website and I’ve only altered them for better appearance on our blog.
I’ll start out by mentioning, Miss Carol substituted the wide loaf of sliced Sour Dough Bread in place of the Crusty White Bread and she also substituted the slices of Monterey Jack & Cheddar Cheese in place of plain cheddar cheese and I used my recipe for Guacamole without lemon juice.
Guacamole-Grilled-Cheese1 (2a)
The following is the Recipe as written on the “two peas & their pod” website:
ingredients:
To make the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1/2 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small jalapeño, stems and seeds removed, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
A dash of freshly grated black pepper
1 Roma tomato, chopped
4 slices crusty white bread
4 slices Cheddar cheese
Butter, for buttering bread
directions:
1. To make the guacamole-cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add the chopped tomato and stir.
2. Heat a pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Spread desired amount of guacamole on both slices of bread then top with cheese. Butter outer slices of bread and grill on one side for about 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Flip the sandwich and grill until golden brown. Make the other sandwich the same way and serve warm.
I will end this by quoting one of my Old Fire Dept. Captains known as “Skippy Webb” :  “Anybody that doesn’t like this, bares watching”.
brown_yellow
brown_beige

brown_yellow




8 comments:

  1. That sounds WONDERFUL. I totally love guacamole (but without any cilantro!) and I agree that jack and cheddar would work most wonderfully. I am going to try this. Have you ever added avocado to a BLT? Now that's a great sandwich. And don't worry about the OMG - I just always think of it as Oh My Goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, You definitely need to try this one. We're going to try the guacamole B.L.T.'s soon. We had the Creamy Avocado Pasta for dinner tonight.
      B.W. & Carol

      Delete
  2. I'm a grilled cheese lover and also a guacamole lover, so this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim & Kelli, Looks like your house is coming along nicely. Looks like Jim is pretty handy with the welding.

      Delete
  3. When is the next time you are going to make this? I'll be right over! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma & Judy,, We'll give you a call next time ahead of time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.