Monday, June 27, 2011

The Rolling Stones

 

NO !!!  Not the Rock Band. 

rolling_stones

We’re talking about Kidney Stones. The tiny little jagged pieces of rock that forms in the kidneys from eating too much Blue Bell ice cream.  If you can imagine trying to force a basketball through the eye of a needle, then you’ve got some idea of what the stone feels like passing through the Ureter Tube to the bladder.

Our plans were to leave Blue Mesa Lake by Gunnison this morning and drive 360+ miles to Flaming Gorge, Wyoming by this afternoon.  Well, things don’t always go according to plan.  All day yesterday, I felt the nagging irritating pain in the left kidney area. I struggled with it all day until about 8:00 pm when I finally told Miss Carol I was going to have to go to the emergency room at the Hospital in Gunnison. We got there in about 20 minutes and I have to say, the emergency room staff got me checked in and hooked up to an I.V. and shot some REALLY GOOD pain medicine into my arm in record time. I told Miss Carol that I don’t ever remember being taken care of that quick.  That pain medicine had me feeling soooo goooood, I didn’t care how much of that gravel was coming down.

They did a C-Scan, x-rays, lab work, etc. and determined that there was a 5mm stone trying to make its way through.  The doctor wanted us to stay close by and get with a urologist and do a follow-up in 3 to 4 days and monitor the stones movement until it passed.  After explaining to him our situation that our reservation was up, at the current campground and no further room at the inn, we were having to leave this morning.  So, he got on the phone and made arrangements with a urology clinic here in Grand Junction. So when we arrived here today, Miss Carol got in contact with them and made all the necessary arrangements.  We’re going to be here a week and see what happens.

Here is an interesting experience that happened last night at the emergency room.  They took me in for the C Scan and recorded it.  It being a Sunday, they didn’t have a Radiologist on staff 24-7 and one wasn’t available that night.  So, they transmitted my C Scan imagery all the way to Australia by means of a program called Night Hawk for a Radiologist there to read and diagnose my images.  So this was sent half way around the world (there, it was middle of the day) with lots of help standing around and sent back to Gunnison Colorado with results in less than 30 minutes.  Isn’t Technology great????

So, now here we sit in Grand Junction just waiting to see what happens.  Hey, it’s not that bad, tomorrow’s my birthday and Miss Carol told me she is taking me to “Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Que” for rib dinner tomorrow night.  We also just found out there is a “Which Wich” here and we’ll be visiting it a couple of times before we leave here.  If you haven’t had a Which Wich Sandwich yet, you’re missing out.

chartrues

gold_charcoal 

follow_happy_trails

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are having the kidney stone problems. Mike has a couple of stones but his, so far, have not started moving. I hope yours go quickly and smoothly without further pain.

    We discovered a Which Wich when we were in Nashville....LOVE IT!! Have a wonderful birthday dinner at Famous Daves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you feel like eating anything with that going on. Doesn't it effect your appetite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the stones, hope it passes without any problems! Have a great birthday and enjoy Famous Daves!

    Will look for a Which Wich in our travels...thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everything comes out ok...ouch! (I guess this is really no laughing matter, huh!) K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.