Monday, October 4, 2010

Kitchen Cabinet Upgrade Version 101

For some time now I’ve been looking at and studying our kitchen cabinets and amazed at the amount of wasted space.  This turned out to only be a $15.00 total cost project and one of those “How come we didn’t do this a long time ago” deals. 
I went to the local building supply store, Menards, and purchased two 10’’ x 4’ cherry stained laminated shelving boards and one 1” x 2” x 3’ piece of oak. 
cabinet1
One hardship of  full-time RVing is having to make do with what you have for getting the job done. We have a small folding aluminum table that we mainly bought to sit our small grill on for outdoor cooking. Whenever there is a picnic table provided by the campground, I usually use it as a work bench. I bought a small 3 tiered tackle box from Wal-Mart and use it to hold my many assortments of screws, nails, bolts, nuts, washers, hose clamps, etc., etc. I have a portable drill/driver that I absolutely could not live without.
I took the oak piece and made twelve 3” blocks and drilled two holes in each block for mounting screws. The blocks will serve as support pieces placed in strategic spots for holding the shelves in place. I put 2 screws in each block and used Elmer’s Wood Glue also.

        cabinet2     cabinet3

       cabinet5    cabinet6

Our kitchen is what they refer to as “J” shaped countertop and cabinets so that meant I’d have to cut the shelves with basically a 45 degree angle on some of the ends in order to make the shelves join up properly.

                 cabinet4

     
           BEFORE                                 AFTER

   cabinet7      cabinet8

I’m always cutting up with Carol and telling her that:

“My Soul Purpose in Life, Is to Make Her Happy”.

 
So, I guess you could say,
CAROL IS A HAPPY CAMPER!!!
 
P.S. :  She’s been playing with her new space all afternoon yesterday and all this morning adding a “few” lightweight items and mainly re-arranging in a way to not add additional weight to the cabinet, but to make things more accessible.
 
 
gold_charcoal

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you do good work!
    I bet Carol is a happy Camper.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the cabinet shelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. The reason we picked the fifth wheel we have is because it has such good, balanced storage. One can never have enough it seems. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. The reason we picked the fifth wheel we have is because it has such good, balanced storage. One can never have enough it seems. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.