Saturday, September 4, 2010

Come and Get It

I spent 30 years on the Fire Dept. in Ft. Worth and most of that time I was the designated cook. Most stations, the guys or gals, took turns with the cooking and who ever didn’t cook, had to do the dishes. Most of the stations I was at, they just rather me cook, so I did. I enjoy cooking, it’s the deciding “what” to cook that I don’t like.

Yesterday I got started on the Stew early.  I had bought a boneless chuck roast and cut it into small chunks for the stew. I prefer to do this instead of paying an extra dollar per pound for the butcher to cut it up and sell it as “stew meat”. I like to get all my ingredients out on the counter so I don’t forget anything. As you can see, I just about throw everything except the sink into it.

Got everything lined up.beef_stew1

For a complete list of ingredients and recipe, you can click on our  “RVing Recipes” tab (top of page) and download it.

 

 

 

I usually put about a cup of flour in a paper bag, add salt, pepper, and garlic powder in with it. I then put the chunks of meat into the bag and shake it to coat the meat. I then place the meat into a cast iron skillet with a little oil.

beef_stew2

 

 

I like to sear the meat to hold the flavor and juices inside.

 

 

 

 

beef_stew3

Once all the meat has been browned, I place it into a stew pot or slow cooker. Since we’ve been full-time rving, I usually always use the slow cooker (free elec.).  I add water, not quite covering the meat. After I’ve finished browning all the meat, I take what’s left of the oil and the drippings and add what is left of the flour that was in the bag, and make a roux and mix that into the slow cooker with the meat and water and stir it thoroughly.

beef_stew4

 

I turn the cooker to High and add the carrots and celery since they take the longest to get done. I then add the other ingredients accordingly as to the time it takes them to get done. Usually 2 hour on High and 8 hours on Low.

 

beef_stew

Now, for only two people, this makes a lot of Stew. What we like to do is split it up into meal size amounts and freeze it for easy meals at a later time. When it’s all done, it looks something like this.  Whip up a cast iron skillet of Cornbread and it sure tastes good on a cold night like we had last night (44*). Anybody that doesn’t like this, bears watching!!!

gold_charcoal

13 comments:

  1. B.W. and Carol,
    Thanks for following my blog. I hope you find something of interest when you read it. :)

    It seems to me that all the retired fire guys that I have met are good cooks! Maybe I should get me one of those guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stew looked really good, and 44 degrees at night sounds priceless. Actually there was a touch of fall in the air this morning as it was down in the mid 60's. A far cry from 85 by 10 am.
    Also we cook recipes in bulk and freeze what we don't eat as it makes food travel day food.
    Take care.
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stew looked really good, and 44 degrees at night sounds priceless. Actually there was a touch of fall in the air this morning as it was down in the mid 60's. A far cry from 85 by 10 am.
    Also we cook recipes in bulk and freeze what we don't eat as it makes food travel day food.
    Take care.
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother was a career fireman. He cooked lots. Love the look of that stew! Thanks for following A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings. I hope you enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad I didn't have a fire during my 20 years in Ft. Worth! Was that you at Cousin's BBQ? I thought so...just kiddin'!
    Hey, thanks for following me and I'm looking forward to keeping up with y'all!
    Blessings, Kathy
    seashellsandoveralls

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy..I can smell it all the way in BC!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That stew looks delicious!! :) Nothing like stew on a cold day to warm you up from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That stew looks fantastic. I love making stew in the slow cooker. It smells good in here all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stew looks delicious (my mouth is watering)! We could use some of this right now in Idaho since the weather is getting so cool. Charley and I were just talking about fixing a batch for our deep freezer in the basement. Just have to pick up the rest of the ingredients we need. Maybe these pictures will speed us up a little.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth is watering too just reading your stew recipe and seeing all the pictures. Enjoy!

    Thanks for following our blog. We will add yours to our list too.

    John & Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well it's still in the 90's down here in Texas, stew sounds good, but I smoked ribs along with baked beans and the fixins today. I don't know about BW, but I'm ready to go south soon for some Bassin.

    Wendell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my that stew looks delicious!! And cornbread in a cast iron skillet to boot?! Oh YUM! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you are enjoying life and all it has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would definitely be watching anyone that didn't like that stew pretty closely! Looks excellent to me! Always have been a sucker for good stew :)

    -Mike
    97 RT 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.