Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Autumn In The Yooper

Ok, for those of you that don’t know, “Yooper” is slang for U.P. which is the abbreviation for Upper Peninsula. We decided to change our plans a little by leaving McLain State Park two days earlier than originally planned. It was remaining somewhat chilly there the next two days and was even supposed to get a frost tonight plus the wind was blowing quite hard. We moved about 250 miles today, mainly in a southerly direction. That is what’s nice about this full-time RVing, you can do what you want, when you want.
mclain_beach

As you can see by the waves, the wind was stirring up Lake Superior pretty good. This is the beach area at McLain State Park.


autumn_u_p






While driving down the highway today, we couldn’t help but notice how the trees are just beginning to turn for Autumn. Another week or two and it will be in full color.

Last night I was preparing to upload several P.O.I. files, that I’d worked on all day, into my Garmin 1690 GPS . When I went to the Garmin website, it told me that there was an available software update. So me wanting it to work the way it should, I proceeded to download and install the update. Following the instructions precisely, I unplugged the  GPS and it was locked up and would not function. We drove all day today (250 miles) without my toy. Once we arrived here at the Rivers Edge RV Park for the night, I called tech support at Garmin and they walked me through a reset procedure that failed several times. They finally decided to give me a new one once I shipped the failed one back to them. While Carol was getting and writing down all the information for shipping and returns, I thought I’d try the reset one more time and it worked.  Shortly after this, Carol turned on the main A/C unit in the living area just to get some air moving and it started making weird noises exactly like it did back in May. That time it was the fan motor and start capacitor for the compressor that went out.  So now we have to find an RV service center on the phone in the morning somewhere along our projected route that can work us in for repairs and find a nearby RV park. So now we don’t know if we’re leaving here tomorrow or not. Our rig is out of warranty but we have the Good Sam’s Extended Service policy and we’ll still be out the $200 deductible.  Oh Well !!! Life is an Adventure.
gold_charcoal

4 comments:

  1. Knew about the UP but never knew about the Yooper. :)

    Beautiful country. I hear the fall colors are wonderful in Michigan. We hope to see that in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the troubles with the GPS and AC! At least the GPS seems to be straightened out now. The pics look great! Heidi and I were noticing the trees beginning to turn up on the North Shore as well, in a few weeks it will really be spectacular up there! Hope the AC issue is a simple one! Be safe and enjoy your travels!

    -Mike & Heidi
    97 RT 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with my older Magelan 3100 series. I took it up to radio shack this morning and he got it up and running for me. It's old, but I love it. I have a Tom Tom also, but don't like it near as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for following Tire Swing Travels. Hope you get your RV fixed soon so you can get back on the road.
    Safe travels. John and Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our Blog. It is nice to know that they are getting read.