Last night Carol fixed a dish that I thought was “Umm” sooooo goooood, that I just have to share it with ya’ll. Carol can’t take ALL the credit as it is originally a recipe off of a box of Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs.
But, she did make a few alterations/substitutions that I believe, put this one over the TOP.
Skillet Chicken Parmigiana
Crispy, seasoned chicken breast, a robust tomato sauce and two kinds of cheese make this Italian classic simply irresistible!
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28oz) Progresso crushed tomatoes (Carol substituted: 2 Del Monte 14oz cans Basil, Oregano, Garlic diced tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/4 lbs)
- 1/3 cup Progresso Italian Style dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In 3 quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Between sheets of waxed paper, flatten chicken to 3/4” thickness. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Dip chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In 12” skillet, heat remaining oil over med heat. Cook chicken in oil 10-15 min, turning once, until no longer pink in center. Pour tomato sauce around chicken in skillet. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over chicken; cover and heat until melted. Sprinkle with 2 tbls parmesan cheese just before serving.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Start to finish: 25 minutes
Now, Let me tell you, ANYBODY that doesn’t like this, BEARS WATCHING!!!!!
Carol served this along with her Momma’s Scalloped Potatoes (will knock your socks off) recipe. Can also be served over plain spaghetti and a side salad.